Crater Lake National Park is one the most underrated national parks in the United States. Located in Southern Oregon, this national park is amazing for those who love the outdoors. Camping, stargazing, hiking, and swimming are just a few of the many things you can experience at this epic location.
Whether you’re planning a Crater Lake wedding or elopement, you’ve come to the right place. Learn more about how to obtain a permit, find lodging, and important tips all in this comprehensive Crater Lake elopement guide.
How Do I Get a Wedding Permit at Crater Lake National Park?
Crater Lake requires you to obtain a special use permit in order to have a wedding ceremony within the park. Below are the necessary steps you need to take in order to obtain a permit.
- Fill and print out the permit application.
- Mail the application and a non-refundable $50 application fee to the address found at the bottom of the page at least 8 weeks before your wedding or elopement.
- Once approved, you’ll pay another $50 for the permit.
Pro tip: The park is very slow at responding to permit requests. A minimum of 8 weeks is required, but I recommend applying 12 weeks before, just to be safe.
To get more permit information and to see all the steps, check out the official permit website here.
What Is the Weather Like at Crater Lake National Park?
Crater Lake National Park is one of the snowiest places in the United States, averaging around 43 feet a year! The snowy season according to the park, is from November – April. However, the snow within the park generally stays until July.
Personally, I recommend the month of September for your elopement. There isn’t any snow, crowds are limited, and many of the attractions are still open. If you would prefer warm weather, consider August, though be prepared for the crowds.
Also, yes! Crater Lake is still open during the winter if you’re wanting a winter wonderland wedding.
Best Places to Stay For Your Elopement
There are a few lodging options right on and near the park. Below are some great options to stay at for your wedding or elopement.
- Crater Lake Lodge (located steps away from the lake)!
- Crater Lake Resort
- Lonesome Duck Ranch
- Modern Marsh Cabin
- Outdoor Lovers’ Cabin
Best Elopement Activities
- Hike the most popular trail at Crater Lake, Garfield Peak
- Go stargazing after sunset
- Wake up early and watch the dramatic sunrise
- Enjoy a cup of coffee with your loved one on the porch before your ceremony
- Take an epic boat tour of the lake
- Go on a guided snowshoe tour during the winter
- Check out the nearby waterfalls
- Go ziplining at Crater Lake Zipline
Crater Lake Elopement Packages
As a Pacific Northwest and California elopement photographer, I’ve shot many different beach elopements. I help plan and capture elopements for couples looking to have an adventurous and authentic wedding day experience.
Crater Lake Elopement Package Pricing
- 4 hours – 1.5 days of elopement coverage anywhere in Oregon
- A hands-on elopement planning experience with unlimited assistance
- personalized elopement locations and questionnaires
- vendor recommendations
- permit assistance
- customized elopement timeline
- activity suggestions
- Online gallery with full resolution and printing rights
- 24-48 hour sneak peak images
- Travel fees to ANYWHERE in Oregon are already included
- Starting at $4,500
NEED HELP PLANNING YOUR DREAM ELOPEMENT?
Snag your FREE elopement guide to help you plan your dream elopement in California, Alaska, or even Spain! Learn everything you need to know about how to plan a “just us” experience.
ARE YOU READY FOR AN ELOPEMENT EXPERIENCE LIKE NO OTHER?
I’m Brianna, a California elopement photographer who inspires, encourages, and empowers couples to push traditional boundaries and create experiences they’ll remember forever.