Norway is one of the most underrated destinations for an elopement. If you’re looking for information on how to plan your own Norway elopement, check out this article that covers everything you need to know about this stunning elopement location! This comprehensive guide includes the best places to elope in Norway, Norway elopement packages, legal information, and much more.
Can Foreigners Get Married in Norway?
Yes, foreigners can get married in Norway! The process will take a bit longer, but it’s possible.
How to Get a Norway Marriage License
If you’re a foreign citizen looking at eloping in Norway, you’ll need to obtain a Norway marriage license. The process to obtain a license is lengthy, and it requires a multitude of steps. To see a full breakdown of every document and step, check out this official article.
Many foreign couples who choose to elope in Norway have a legal ceremony within their home country, then a symbolic ceremony in Norway. This is what I often suggest to my couples looking to elope overseas.
If you’re not a foreign couple, check out this official website to complete your marriage license application online.
How to Get to Norway
If you’re coming to Norway from the United States, you don’t need to get a visa unless you stay for over 90 days. However, it may be different for other countries.
If you fly into Norway, you’ll more than likely end up flying into Oslo, the countries capital. If you’re looking for cheap flights, I recommend flying out of the east coast, as it’s a shorter flight with more accessibility.
From Oslo, you can catch smaller flights to other parts of the country, rent a car, or utilize Norway’s public transportation system. Norway has a very efficient public transportation system. They have railways, buses, boats, and more. If you choose to rent a car, do so in advance, as renting a car in Norway is known to be a pricey, especially during peak season.
8 Jaw Dropping Places to Elope in Norway
Geirangerfjord (The Fjords)
Norway is known for their fjords, deep seas with steep land on three sides, and Geirangerfjord happens to be one of (if not) the most popular fjords. This spot is absolutely breathtaking and a must-see spot, even if you decide against it for your Norway elopement.
Lofoten Islands is the picture-perfect Norway town filled with colorful homes and green cliffsides. These islands have some killer views and definitely make the list of the best places to elope in Norway. The islands are especially beautiful during Christmas time.
Storseterfossen is an epic waterfall that you can actually walk behind. The hike to the falls takes about 50 minutes each way, but the views along the hike are incredible. For those looking at having their ceremony near some falls, this elopement location is for you.
Rytentopp is a 4.6 round-trip mile hike in Norway, but you don’t need to hike that far to get some jaw dropping views of the beautiful country. Here, you’ll see the Norwegian Sea, deep blue lakes, and hills covered in lush greens making it one of the best places to elope in Norway.
Skagsanden Beach is one of the most photographed beaches in Lofoten. The beach is known for its golden sand, intricate patterns, and most of all, the Northern Lights. This beach is one of the best places in the world to witness the beautiful phenomenon.
Jotunheimen National Park
Jotunheimen National Park is a hiker’s paradise! Known for their beautiful mountain ranges, waterfalls, lakes, and so much more, this national park carries beautiful scenery for an elopement and is definitely one of the best places to elope in Norway.
Stetind, also known as Norway’s national mountain, is a unique mountain that you’ve probably seen in pictures. The landscape around the mountain is beautiful, and it’s a great place to elope if you’re an avid climber, as this is one of the most climbed mountains in Norway!
Jostedalsbreen National Park
Jostedalsbreen National Park is a beautiful park that happens to have the largest glacier on the European mainland. This is another national park known for its incredible hikes. There are also numerous environments around the park, making it an incredible place for your Norway elopement.
The Best Places to Stay for Your Norway Elopement
Norway has some of the most jaw dropping places to stay, whether it be right on the water or underneath the Northern Lights. Check out the list below for a list of some the coolest places to stay for your Norway elopement.
Best Time of Year for Your Norway Elopement
Summer (June – August)
Summer is Norway’s high season, meaning lots of crowds, high prices, and planning ahead. While the weather is amazing, I advise against eloping in Norway during these peak season months if you’re wanting something intimate.
Fall (September – October)
Fall is the best time for your Norway elopement. The rush from summer has left, the leaves are changing into beautiful vibrant colors, and everything becomes significantly cheaper. It’s the perfect time for an intimate elopement.
Winter (November – April)
Winter is Norway’s quietest season. It’s magical during Christmas, and it’s a great time to see the Northern Lights. However, the weather is harsh and there is lots of snow! If you’re wanting a winter elopement, consider Norway during these months.
Spring (May – June)
Spring is another great time to elope in Norway. There aren’t as many tourists, the wildflowers are blooming, and the waterfalls are at their peak. Higher altitude areas will still have some snow during these months, so plan accordingly.
Norway Elopement Timelines
If you need inspiration for your Norway elopement, check out some of these elopement timelines below!
12 Hour Elopement Timeline
- 11:00am – photographer (that’s me!) arrives at the cozy cabin in Sunnylven for getting ready pictures
- 12:00pm – first look between the couple out by the nearby lake
- 12:30pm – head to Geirangerfjord for the intimate ceremony, photos taken on the scenic drive there
- 2:00pm – begin the intimate ceremony overlooking the water
- 2:30pm – ceremony ends, begin exploring the area for your picnic
- 3:00pm – begin your intimate picnic, couples portraits after
- 4:30pm – head back to Sunnylven for cake, champagne, and gifts
- 6:00pm – arrive home and celebrate
- 7:00pm – start a bonfire in the backyard for s’mores and hot chocolate
- 8:30pm – head inside and watch videos sent in from family while eating your favorite food
- 9:30pm – drive to a nearby lake to watch the Northern Lights
- 10:00pm – arrive and setup with blankets and pillows to enjoy the lights
- 11:00pm – photo coverage wraps up, Brianna leaves
8 Hour Elopement Timeline
- 3:30am – photographer meets the couple at the Pulpit Rock trailhead for a sunrise ceremony
- 3:45am – begin the hike to the rock
- 5:00am – arrive and begin the intimate ceremony
- 5:30am – ceremony ends, take some couples portraits
- 6:30am – find a secluded spot for a breakfast picnic
- 7:30am – head back to the trailhead
- 9:00am – arrive and head to Oanes to explore the nearby fishing town
- 9:30am – begin exploring the village, taking photos along the way
- 10:30am – photo coverage wraps up, Brianna leaves
Norway Elopement Ideas
- Take a scenic train ride through the mountains
- Visit the cathedrals
- Take a ferry out on the water
- Go on a local food tour
- Drive on the Atlantic Road
- Go hiking near the fjords
- Check out the Arctic Circle and watch the Northern Lights
- Go skiing
- Try fresh fish at local villages
- Take a wildlife tour
Norway Elopement Packages
I’m an elopement photographer who specializes in planning and capturing elopements for couples all around the world. To see my elopement package options, check out this page.
- 6 hours – 1.5 days of elopement coverage anywhere in Norway
- A hands-on elopement planning experience with unlimited assistance
- personalized elopement locations and questionnaires
- vendor recommendations
- permit assistance
- customized elopement timeline
- Online gallery with full resolution and printing rights
- 24-48 hour sneak peak images
- Travel fees to ANYWHERE in Norway are already included
- Starting at $6,000
NEED HELP PLANNING YOUR DREAM ELOPEMENT?
Snag your FREE elopement guide to help you plan your dream elopement in California, Alaska, or even Spain! Learn everything you need to know about how to plan a “just us” experience.
ARE YOU READY FOR AN ELOPEMENT EXPERIENCE LIKE NO OTHER?
I’m Brianna, a California elopement photographer who inspires, encourages, and empowers couples to push traditional boundaries and create experiences they’ll remember forever.